Wednesday, March 26, 2014

MODERN-DAY WEATHER VANITY

TIME TO BE COOL ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING.

THINGS 2 HEAT UP IN THE COMING ICE AGE.

THE VIEW FROM THE VIRGIN ISLANDS.
 

By John McCarthy
The Moderate Voice
 

Now that the authorities involved have irretrievably solved the mystery of Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 (without even a scrap of evidence) …

Let’s move to another ephemeral topic of conversation as Winter transitions into Spring during this Global Warming in the year of our Zombie Apocalypse 2014 …

The Weather.

Now if Bob Dylan is right and “you don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows” then this shouldn’t be hard at all.

Unless you are trying to divine the future of the Ukraine, the mental health of Vladimir Putin or the body language of President Obama as he told the height-challenged Russian leader: don’t take another step.

Human beings as mammals are subtropical animals that are ideally suited to be at 78 degrees Fahrenheit (25.555 degrees Celsius).

Another columnist seen regularly @ The Moderate Voice wrote a piece this year saying basically that Americans are whiners and need to buck up and get with the program: i.e., more shoveling and less sniveling. We tamed the Wild West – running a snow blower should be a breeze.

But what I am about to write next is very uncool – and also just coincidentally carries an NC-17 warning: Still, you get what you pay for when it comes to your weather: and wherever you live, you chose it bucko.

Where I’m from in Detroit, the folks got 78 inches of snow and experienced one of the coldest winters in 20 years. My family spoke to me only once – on my birthday this month – I think they blame me. Today’s forecast for March 26 – a time when normally the crocuses should be sprouting – calls for 18 degrees (-7.777 degrees Celsius) and “fair.”

Especially when the U.S. Census Bureau says more Americans are staying put where they live for decades longer than at any other time in our history – unless you have a trip planned to Bora Bora every Winter – you should be in a cold sweat if you are subjecting your body to weather conditions that it was not designed to endure.

You eat superfoods like broccoli, drink herbal teas and mineral waters and jog for your health; but, when it comes to putting your body into weather conditions that are most ideal for it – most people generally go where the jobs are … Got a great new executive position in Buffalo? Great! But get a stress test before shoveling your driveway every morning.

One of my college roommates at the University of Michigan was Architect Eng Liang Ong of Singapore. About once a month I would ask him what the temperature was in that city nation they call a “Mini Tiger” – didn’t matter what month of the year I asked him – the answer was always the same: 86 degrees Fahrenheit (30 degrees Celsius).

It got me to thinking: maybe I didn’t need to live in a cold climate nine months of the year? My first move after college was a step up weather-wise – New York City. The winters of the Big Apple seemed balmy compared to Ann Arbor – and the snow rarely stuck to the ground – a sign that the temperature was above freezing.

While I was at Michigan I took a course in meteorology – on the path to one-day being an on-air television reporter – one of the things the professor stressed in the lectures was that the weather records only go back to the 1880’s – not enough time/data to accurately predict anything in terms of future climatic conditions.

When I was growing up, Time Magazine did a cover story about “The Coming Ice Age” complete with wooly mastodons, white saber-toothed tigers and oversized polar bears. Still, I assumed that the future was bright. If you look at the Wikipedia entry for my hometown of Livonia – there is a picture of a futuristic-looking City Hall building in the middle of an empty, snow-filled parking lot.

It made me wonder if anyone would look at that picture and want to visit there – I surely wouldn’t. My high school art teacher, who had red hair and a moustache, Mr. Nesbitt used to always say that you didn’t have to stay where you were born – you are free to roam about the planet as you wish – “The World Is Yours.”

Now there was a new tsunami alarm testing warning signal this morning as I was writing this column. And the territory did have its posterior handed to itself after Hurricane Hugo in 1989 – but the building codes were improved – the infrastructure was improved – to the point that when Hurricane Marilyn devastated the islands in 1995 – the electricity was back on sooner.

I’ve had clients in Port Charlotte, FL; Binghamton, NY and Morristown, NJ warn me that I should leave St. Croix because it is likely that I’ll be slammed again by another hurricane in the fall. Soon after, those very same areas were smacked down by cyclones.

As Iggy Pop says: “You pays your money and you takes your chances.”

The average mean temperature for the U.S. Virgin Islands is 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Today’s forecast calls for a low of 71 and a high of 86.

But it’s not all good – the service is a bit slow today delivering me my Crucian Rum mojito at poolside – and then there’s the mosquitoes and the sand flies – still, I can’t complain (sometimes I still do).

Wherever you are on the mainland – be cool – it shouldn’t be hard to do this winter.

 

© 2014 John Francis McCarthy/Secret Goldfish Publishing House, LLC

 

John McCarthy is an investigative reporter, artist and photojournalist based in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Please send questions and comments to: johnfmccarthy807@msn.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment