Monday, September 16, 2013

DAY SIX - THE MYSTERIOUS DISAPPEARANCE OF ATTORNEY BLOOR COINCIDES WITH THE APPEARANCE OF THE HOTEL INVOICE FOR DRINKS


DAY SIX – Bloor can’t be summoned by telephone, by housekeeping or by a loud rapping, a gentle tapping at his chamber door in Room 247. He’s got himself barricaded in there. I think he’s so drug and drink addled out of his mind that he thinks they’re coming to evict him. The silly, stupid but still-snoring (sleep apnea) bastard!

 

Bloor’s got the high definition TV on full blast so he must be sleeping soundly or trying to cover up the sounds of some Gustav Klimt-like escapades with stray cat blues nubiles The last I saw him he was grappling and snappling with a bottle of Maker’s Mark neat with some good Netherlands gouda cheese..

 

I’m just now reading what was written about “the haircut” yesterday and it just won’t do. I can’t write one damn bit. It’s got me roundly depressed. The writers I like are F. Scott, R. Duke and QT. But if you read Zelda’s husband you’ll notice he’s got a lot of dialogue in there. Easy on the eyes. Easy to read. Easy to follow. Especially Gatsby in the car accident scene. Me. I don’t have a word of dialogue in the whole blog! It’s just this long scrawl with no point at all.

 

Well, I’ve got to follow my own advice, the stuff I feed to the boys, straighten up and fly right! No more downers: they came in with Nixon and never left. If the Kennedy’s had lived, this would be a different country now, better in fact. I’m not complaining, mind you. This is the best damn country they got: I know: I tried ‘em all.

 

We got a little unfinished business here at the hotel, I’m a little anxious about it. I like to plot out what I’m gonna do early in the morning. Talk it over with Bloor. Then take a little Heineken nap about 11 a.m. Then be “rejuvenated” about 1 p.m. Then another nap about 4 p.m. Then be “resuscitated” and fully respirated, about 7 p.m. after the Sun is down etc., etc. I’ve got simple tastes like any other man of the people. Six Florida grapefruit in the morning, two pots of Rukoki Gold Ugandan coffee with condensed Pet milk and Domino’s sugar, four eggs benedict, eight crispy strips of bacon, thirteen asparagus spears, three Maine lobsters, six English muffins with two sticks of Irish butter and one jar of Chiver’s “sweet, smooth” orange marmalade and one jar of Duerr’s blackcurrant preserve, a one-inch thick slice of Black Forest ham, five Santo Domingo (green, unpainted) oranges, a plate of organic green broccoli, Tazo Awake black tea and a little clear Coca-Cola-distilled Dasani water – nothing fancy here, boys. Maybe a little McIlhenny & Co. Tabasco Pepper sauce on the side. After all, I’m no marshmallow! Of course, here at the hotel, they bring it to you on a little white linen covered pushcart. The Chilean girl who brought it to me this morning was quite well-spoken and nice. She let me practice my Spanish on her. I said “good morning” (Buenos dias ), “how are you (polite)” (como esta usted) and “nice to meet you” (y mucho gusto). A little small-talk malarkey went a long way because she told me that her husband was American. Which I guess was her way of saying: I UNDERSTAND YOUR KIND OF CRAZY. Apparently, my reputation had preceded me. Once I had the food all out on the table, I signed for it on the little white paper and gave her a thirty percent tip (I always tip well because I know I can be difficult at times). She was a tall, pretty girl with her auburn hair pulled back off of her forehead. Her gold name tag said her name was “Isabella” (I hadn’t asked her “como te llamas”).

So I told Isabella “muchas gracias” and she pushed the cart with the squeaky wheel out of the room with a smile on her face. After she had left, I noticed that there was a single orange flower in a white spindly vase with water in it. And it made me smile.

 

The boys is generally good to me but they got a lot to learn about “real life.” I’m writing this here blog so’s when I’m dead and they lower me into the bone orchard with a heavy duty crane my son or daughter will be able to read it and glean a little bit about who I was and what I have to impart to them.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment